Re: john backus' posting

To: paulblandavon <paul.blandavon@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: john backus' posting
From: Joe Amo <jkamo@rapidnet.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:11:59 -0700
Paul, in my undergrad Mech. Eng. work, I learned a little about 2- stroke
efficiency as well, but probably
more importantly is looking at what is a more common played out reality.
Meaning
I have not seen any
1 liter 2 stroke motors making even half of the computed possibility at Bonn.,
like closer to 190-200 hp for 1 liter.
And making a class for  what is a theoretical possibility, may not be in
everyones
best interest.
Considering that there is less than one percent of records over 250cc set by two
strokes,
even though they have a supposed decisive advantage.
The feasibility/availability factor is significant.  There are just simply very
few mass
produced two strokes in motorcycles over 250cc.  And to double the classes
for based on what GP bikes make (read very few could get hands on these
capabilities) may not be in everyones best interest.

How many two stroke production engines have been produced for street bikes
in the last 20 years?  I know Bimota did (read read over 20,000$ for a model
that was discontinued in one year, from lack of feasibility).

Until then, everyone who desires can beat up on the record book with
two strokes, they have a psuedo advantage (theoretical, not necessarily
accessible)
they have had this so called advantage for half a century, since the existence
of
the
record book, YET a very small percentage of the records, especially over 500cc.

Joe