Re: NASCAR Numbers

To: "Ed Van Scoy" <edvs@uswest.net>,
Subject: Re: NASCAR Numbers
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:10:10 -0500
    List

    NASCAR numbers I believe are a franchise deal. The car owner purchases
the rights to the number on a yearly basis. I know the driver gets
associated with the number but it truly belongs to the car/team owner. Heard
that Ray Evernham paid the owner $100,000 to get the #9 back.
    Another problem is that their are a limited amount of available numbers,
00 to 99. If they start retiring these numbers we will soon be watching 1179
running around the track. Lets face it, to be fair, NASCAR would have to
retire a whole bunch more than just the 3. When I see the #28, #7, #43, and
others I remember the great drivers past and present. Removing the number,
in my opinion, won't help keep the memory alive.
    As I understand it the #3, licensed by Richard Childress, will be
retired for the remainder of the year in Dale's memory. A #29 white
Chevrolet Monte Carlo will compete in its place. Childress wanted to run the
#30, but was unable to purchase the license from the current owner.

    John Beckett, LSR Comp Coupe #79