Re: NASCAR & .......safety issues

To: Doug Anderson <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>, <robere@xensei.com>
Subject: Re: NASCAR & .......safety issues
From: Henry Padilla <jennihen@home.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:13:15 -0800
Yeah, NASCAR is a dictatorship but generally benevolent as long as you share
the vision. There are a lot of tracks that are not NASCAR sanctioned either
because they can't afford it or because they don't want to toe the party
line, or both. That said, although everybody (track operators, race
promoters, racers, car owners) complains about the rules, the successful
tracks understand that they are better than the alternative. Look at the non
sanctioned tracks in the northeast: none are as well managed or have the
visibility of a sanctioned track like, say, a Stafford Motor Speedway. At
least nowadays; I don't know what it was like in '64.

Henry

From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>

BOB.....

No doubt about it  NASCAR  is THE most manipulative sanctioning body, and
always has been.   I was a member in 1964 in upstate NY stock car racing at
Fonda Speedway  (in Fonda NY -and yes, named after the ancestors of THAT
Fonda family; Hanoi Jane, Peter, and the great Henry....)  Even at that time
NASCAR ruled all with an iron fist.   Partially because of that, many many
short tracks in as much told NASCAR to pack it.  And to this day are
considered "outlaw"  -and damn proud of it I might add.....

Simpson makes ( arguably I'm sure.....) THE best safety equipment there
is.....  I ask you, WHY would any belts in Earnhardt's car NOT be new for
the 500 ?

Besides, and here's my point,.....  they said his head whipped violently
forward and backwards a couple times at least  ( did you see the test video
of head on crashes thats been done in a stockcar roll cage that was on TV
last week ? -nasty )  and they reported that what actually most certainly
killed him was: that his spinal cord was severed by the violent whiplash
from it all.   That would have nothing at all to do with a lap belt in my
book.   I could be wrong.

The HANS devise MIGHT be helpful.   But what about manuverability issues ?
Visibility ?  I'm not so sure.  'course I'm not the one out there hung out
at 190 mph either.

The other night,thinking about the tradgedy of it all, I may have dreamed up
a partial soloution.   I think I will contact some of the safety
manufacturers to see if it is indeed workable.  If my idea can save even one
from serious injury,....it would be most gratifying.   I hope I'm on to
something.......

my best regards, Doug Anderson  2-23-01

            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx