Sponsors

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Sponsors
From: Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:15:53 -0700 (MST)
  I don't know if this is appropriate or not for this site but an ad
appeared in Performance racing news ,here in Canada ,for extreme sports
sponsored by Export cigarettes, a division ,I think ,of the Rothmans empire.
Anyways the ad said" if you can't smash it into a tree what's the point?"
This to me seems to be really irresponsible advertising and portraits racing
and racers as yahoos who don't take safety seriously. I'm sorry  if I'm
offending anyone on the list but in light of the tragedy last week it really
pissed me off, and I have called the magazine and extreme sports and the
cigarette company and expressed my anger. As racers, professional and
weekend warriors, we need to make sponsors portray our sport as competition,
not a death wish.
Scott