Re: Antique Cars

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Antique Cars
From: "Bill & Dee Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 21:55:05 -0500
Well finally something I know a little about. I was raised around antique
cars. My dad had a very odd collection over the years. My 2 favorites of all
times were a 1922 Buick touring car and a 1911 Brush. Both of these were
very rare and different cars of their eras. The 1911 Brush was a one
cylinder engine with a counter balance shaft. It had chain drives with the
wheels mounted  on wooden axles. Kinda like a buggy with an engine. Some of
the most important aspects of the car was that it was Americas first car
with 4 coil suspension, they were expanding type springs. The car was also
designed so that the floor boards were removable and all work could be done
from above. The transmission was a constant mesh planatary type 2 speed with
reverse. A technological marvel for its time. It was a true hot rod of its
day with a top speed of 30 mph.The car was designed by a man named Agustus
P. Brush. He later went on to develop the Cadaliac. The 1922 Buick was
typical of the touring cars of the era. It had a long stroke 4 cylinder
engine. The water pump, generator, and starter were all one unit driven by a
leather belt. The starter engaged the flywheel via pedal in the floor. It
still had a hand crank if need be. The valve train was unique in the lifter
design. All that was lacking was a small valve installed in the lifter to
make it a hydraulic lifter. Both of these car were basket cases when dad
bought them. Most of the missing parts were fabricate by him using picutres.
I watched my dad cast  his own babbit bearings then hand lap them for hours.
He would make his own jigs to align bore the blocks. The Buick was really a
speed demon with a top speed of 75 mph. These car were not trailer queens
Dad drove them everywhere. For many years we would take a 100 mile trip
across the mountains of Tennessee in the Buick to an anual car show. He
enjoyed showing these car not for the trophies, but more as an enjoyment
letting other people see them. He also had his share of the T models and
other early model Fords, but these were his favorites. Currently both of
these cars are where he would be proud for them to be. The Brush is in a
museum in Canada, and the Buick is in a private collection of someone in New
York who activly shows it. As for me, some of dad managed to rub off on me
as I currently own a 1957 Triumph TR3 and a 1968 Mustang that was a plain
jane 6 cylinder fastback that I am converting to a Shebly GT350R replica.

Bill
Sorry for being so long. I just like sharing my little bit of history.