Re: Motorcycle Helmet Aerodynamics?

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Motorcycle Helmet Aerodynamics?
From: Henry Deaton <hdeaton@verio.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 14:10:52 -0800
Hey Dale,

I'm going to be "chin-down" at speed too, which is why I'm more concerned
about vents on the back. I was looking at a Shoei RF-900 which has lots of
vents all over, plus a little spoiler sticking out the back that I'd
probably cut off. On the other hand, it looks like the cheaper Snell-rated
helmets have less in the way of vents and might work better for a speed
trial. Not having run at El Mirage or the Bonneville Salt Flats before, I
was also wondering if there is any advantage having some ventilation. I
know it gets really hot but I'll only be wearing the thing for a few
minutes at most, right?

My bike still a work in progress while I'm bringing my welding skills up to
par, but will eventually be an electric motorcycle built to conform to the
APS-class requirements. I guess it'd be in what's listed as the APS-Omega
class, but it looks like I'll be running against the E/1 record. Other
details: Optima yellow-top batteries, snowmobile CVT transmission, one
really beautiful forklift series-wound DC motor, an electronic controller
(yet to be determined), some contactors, lots of thick copper wire,
FZR-1000 wheels and brakes, with a bunch of steel tubing holding it all
together. Eventually I'll have some kind of streamlining, too.

Henry Deaton
SF, CA