Weekend Project

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Weekend Project
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:33:51 -0800 (PST)
I got the car back Friday with a straight frame
and a new low stance that makes it look a lot
more like a race car than it did. Whole lottsa
tire way up inside those fenders! It got a lot of
close looks from a couple of young 'Stang drivers
who would pull up along side at each red light
and stare at it.  You know, it looks kinda
shabby, but it's got those serious tires on it,
and my daughter's hand lettering on the rear
flanks which announces: "National Record Holder".
I know those young Ford guys were very confused.

 The Dick J in East Texas garage sounded like a
NASCAR pit stop all day Saturday.  Air ratchet in
one hand, box for parts in the other.  I did that
part of mechanicing that I'm really so good at -
- the taking apart stuff.  I stripped everything
down ready to install my new cam and parts.

I stopped by my local machine shop at lunch time
today, and he's going to clean up my intake ports
for me.  The intake ports on Chev 882 heads are a
little lop-sided - they are slightly narrower at
the top than at the bottom.  He is going to match
them to the Felpro gaskets for me. He's also
going to install my screw-in rocker studs, and
Crane springs for me. He made me such a good
offer that it wouldn't be worth it for me to try
any of the stuff myself.  I couldn't even buy the
rotary files for the price he quoted.  He likes
my car a lot because it's the only race car in
these parts that ain't made to run only 1/4 mile
at a time, or go in left hand circles after dark!

Next Saturday, I should just have to bolt
everything back together - - and y'all know how
that goes.  I just can't wait to see what snag I
will hit!  And besides, I put things back
together a whole bunch slower than I take them
all apart.  ha ha

=====
Dick J
In East Texas