What's New

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: What's New
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:46:46 -0500 (EST)
Hi Folks, Keith said what's going on, here's what's going on in the
Great Dismal Swamp.

Being told that with a flat, dead-soft one piece copper Ardun gasket, 60
ft. lbs of torque is necessary on 7/16 molygreased fine threads to
achieve the necessary head joint integrity, I tested my homemade 4130
studs to destruction today.  No not all of them, just the four specials
I had to make, which have reduced 5/16 extensions on 'em up to help hold
the rocker covers on.  All the others are ARPs which are well up to the
job.

So after hearing that well-known "pop", removing the carefully-assembled
head, and extracting the broken stub by devious means, I called ARP to
see what could be done.  There was good news and bad news.  The good
news was they actually make a 7/16 stud 7-3/8" long which is the working
length I need, but the other news is I'll have to find my own means of
putting the 5/16 extension on it.  Like the fella said, "We could make a
special for you, but it would be $1K apiece, and I don't think you want
to go that way."  How right he was.  He did go on to say that sometime
back, a couple years ago, somebody, he couldn't remember who, had ARP
make 20 sets of Ardun studs, and they did make these oddballs with the
reduced tops on 'em.  The batch order was big enough to get a fairly
reasonable price on them.  Bet they still cost an arm and a leg.  Maybe
it was Don Orosco, with his repro Ardun project, or maybe his successor
Don Ferguson who took over the repros.

So anyway I ordered the four longies I needed, and I'll leave it to your
imagination how I will stick the extension on there.  The ARP guy said
the heat treatment of his stud starts to go away at 900 degrees, so that
limits your options.  Since brazing is 1300 or more, and welding even
more.

Anybody know where I could get 4 U.S. made, certified bonafide 7/16 NC
Grade 8 bolts 10 inches long?  We could turn one end down to 5/16 and
put a couple of threads on it.  The ARP studs are claimed to be way
better than Grade 8, and I believe it.  They are also straight, which
not every Grade 8 bolt is.

Cheers from Ardun Bill