Re: World Records LONG

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: World Records LONG
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:28:00 -0600
> > Okay Go grab a Diet Coke or a Beer... this is going to take a minute to
> > explain..... If you have no interest.... HIT DELETE...
> >
> > We created the List for World Record discussions on Jon Amo's
> > Landracing.com website....( THANKS JON ) and then we spent everyone's
energy sorting out
> > opinions... and MUCH to everyone's credit .... everyone kept an open
> > mind... We tried to sort out what would and wouldn't work in real
life...
> > Bottom line... Nothing much was accomplished....  But I wanted to share
my
> > opinion based on the time we spent hashing all this out.... Keep in
> > Mind.... this is ONLY my opinion.
> >
> > It was my thought that the FIA was worthless..... I have changed that
> > opinion based on our discussions.... It's a VERY VALID organization if
you
> > happen to be in the Special construction catagory and you have enough
> > money.... it's the REAL way to set a WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD....
> >
> > Past that comment there is something lacking in the Landspeed racing
> > community....Something for the Average Racer  and that is a list of
records which states who has the
> > fastest car on the Lakes or at Maxton.... these are one way records on
> > courses between 1 mile and 1.6 miles..... We can also throw England into
> > that fray if you wish...  I don't have a name for this but lets call it
> > Short course one way record for the moment....
> >
> > Let me tell you why I think it would be Neat to have this set of
> > records.... Basically we all strive to be the best or fastest at what we
> > do.... but today we have to go through 3 different books to find out who
> > has the Fastest ...D/F/CC for example.... If I am racing at Maxton and
Tom
> > Bryant is racing the Lakes.... and we have the same kinda car.... why
not
> > compete with each other.... even thou we all know there are differences
in
> > the courses and the tracks.... what is the harm in the bragging Rights
one
> > of us might attain...
> >
> > Could we call this a World Record?  Shoot I don't know.... I doubt
it....
> > to many OLD SCHOOL folks would poo poo that idea.... so call it what you
> > will One of us is going to be the fastest...
> >
> > Now we have to talk about Bonneville and what it means when you set a
> > record there.... This is a VERY personal Opinion and does NOT represent
> the
> > others on the list.... it's only MY opinion..... Sorry for those who
don't
> > agree.... but because the FIA isn't a credible organization for the
> average
> > racer..... the SCTA has taken thier Place.... so if the SCTA puts my
> Record
> >  up then it's a WORLD RECORD.... Period.... is that argueable?  Sure if
> > your a died in the wool FIA supporter then you can say it's not to the
> > STANDARD as it wasn't set within the one hour window or not in two
> > directions.... ( BIG NOTE.... the SCTA does not make this Claim I do
> > )....But who cares about that.... it's to the SCTA standard and that is
> all
> > I care about Personally.... If you set a record at Bonneville and it's
> > Broken at Lake Gairdner..... guess what..... if they used the same
method
> > in attaining that record.... they would hold the World Record....
> >
> > again you can see that there is a Lack of a List of those records
also...
> > so we would need a second list that is for Two Way records on longer
> > courses... ( at the present it would really be the Bonneville record
book
> > with maybe 4 changes .... that's a guess because I haven't merged the
data
> > bases )
> >
> > The Bottom line is do we need an organization which maintains these
records?
   or do we just continue on as we have.... The singular advantage to having
an organization is it could develope a structure where others might join in
and start thier own organizations thoughout the world... then we could have
World Class competition.. not that we don't already!!!   But it might make
it easier for someone like John Beckett and the ECTA to get started....

sorry for being so long winded.... I just wanted to share the outcome of our
discussions and provide some food for thought.... if this goes on more then
TWO days I will ask that we once again move to Jon's list on Landracing.com
so as not to offend those who are truly NOT interested.... ( now how was
that for politically correct?)