Fire bottle certification

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Fire bottle certification
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 19:33:57 -0500
List,

   First let me say that I really appreciated all the folks that helped me
out with the fire suit dry cleaning issue.  Thank you for the sound advice.

   This years newest setback for me seems to be fire system recertification.
Last year I'd had my bottles inspected and weighed without any problems.  I
was told that one was approaching 20 years of age and would require
hydrostatic testing in 2002.  ...Well, this year I called a new (and
apparently better informed) company who came to my work place to inspect the
bottles.  After numerous phone calls and checking of regulations I was
informed that they couldn't inspect my bottles since I could provide no
"standards" for the operation of the system in my application.

   "Standards"???  I just want it to put out a fire.  I thought that was the
whole reason for fire systems.  Every piece of racing hardware I've ever
seen contains the standard disclaimer that starts out with "Auto racing is
inherently dangerous...."  So where do I go from here?

   I did learn something in all this.  Fire bottles used in fixed system
(computer room, boats, etc.) have no requirement for hydrostatic testing,
regardless of age. (others require hydrostatic testing every 12 years)  I
also learned that while I could have my 1301 halon recovered and reused
after this testing, the same could not be said for my old smaller 1211/1301
(mix?) agent bottle.

   Since everyone has to deal with this annually, has anyone else run into
this sort of problem?  Since it's doubtful that I'll find "standards" for
use of halon in a land-speed application how the devil am I gonna get these
bottles properly inspected and certified as the rulebook requires?

Help!

Chuck Rothfuss
ECTA
Pole Cat Hollow, NC