Fwd: Flathead Oiling 1-A

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Flathead Oiling 1-A
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:27:46 EST
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Full-name: ARDUN DOUG
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:26:55 EST
Subject: Re: Flathead Oiling 1-A
To: saltracer@hotmail.com

In a message dated 03/26/2001 8:05:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
saltracer@hotmail.com writes:

<<
 Hi Everyone,
 I was waiting to post pictures of the great looking pieces Gary made for the
 car lately, but today's theres been a set back. I started the motor after
 changing the oil pump back in january and didn't really make much of an
 attempt to prime the engine first.... After the motor would no longer chank,
 I pulled it apart and found at least one spun rod bearing and a kinda blue
 rod. The mains don't look too good either. This is pretty depressing, before
 I had too much oil pressure and this time obviously not enough. I hadn't
 figured out a way to mount an oil pressure gauge in line to the oil filter
 on our merc flathead yet, and this is all my fault. Phil

Phil,
    Did the engine actually fire-up and run? I have trouble believing that
the engine could do much damage to itself just turning via the starter. What
kind of filter are you running? Have you modified the oiling system to filter
everything except the rear main and #4 & #8 rods?
    The original Ford bypass-type oil filter has no place on a performance
Flatty or one that has the oil system modified to full-flow any of it.
    The only priming I ever did when using the original-type Flatty oil pump
was to spin the engine with the plugs removed until the oil pressure showed
on the gauge.
    Regards mounting the oil pressure sense line, I'd recommend tapping into
the line from the oil filter outlet to the engine. That pretty much tells you
what oil pressure the engine is seeing, not just what the oil pump is
producing.
    How about giving me some more details on the oiling system. It sorta
sounds like the pressure wasn't getting to the bearings.
    Hang in there, we'll get it figured out.............Ardun Doug King