Re: minimum speed?

To: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: minimum speed?
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:06:01 -0800
I've been off line for a while and I'm just catching up with this thread....

As a long time salt flats spectator I remember when 217 mph was considered a
target speed for hot rods and most of the runs were under 120.  Funny how
attitudes change over fifty years.

USFRA runs the 130 Club and 150 Club as an introduction to salt flats racing
for the guy who is just curious about how fast he can run.  We have taken
major heat from some organized groups for our rules ... perhaps rightly so
in some 130 Club cases ... nevertheless we have had tremendous response from
those racers who have participated.  Check out the Audi enthusiasts web page
for an interesting article by John Stahlmann.  Sure humbles the guy who is
bragging about going 145 on the highway when he can't hit 120 on the salt
with accurate timing.

As a father with college age kids I often remember the comment by Mary Lou
larsen about Fred and the streamliner ... "this is the kid we never had and
put through college."  Puts the whole thing in perspective.

Wes