RE: Nitromethane

To: "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: RE: Nitromethane
From: "Steve Pitt" <steve@seattleconstructioninc.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:14:08 -0700
As I understand, nitromethane is pretty tame as a free liquid but gets real
cranky when compressed.  I've heard about some really wicked explosions when
motors are turned over to start with accumulated nitro in a cylinder.  I
witnessed such an event a few years ago with an A/Fuel dragster at Seattle
International Raceway.  Big bang, holed piston, bent rod, cracked block.
Not very nice stuff under the right/wrong conditions!
Steve Pitt