Re: traction control

To: "paul bland" <paul.blandavon@btinternet.com>,
Subject: Re: traction control
From: "JOHN BACKUS" <34ford@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:27:35 -0400
Paul, I like that! Some years ago I lettered a dragster for the son of an old
racing buddy. After I finished, I asked if I could sit in it - just for old
times sake. I noticed all the electronics; buttons, lights, dials to set....
he explained they were set with his "dial-in" and his opponents dial-in then
he set the brake at the line, let off a button when the first yellow lit and
sat there until the car took off. Then the computer analyzed the launch and
shut the throttle down for a second and re-launched the car to run exactly on
his dial-in. I asked what part of the driving he did and he replied "I just
steer and pull the chute". That is why I ran only heads up classes and hope to
GOD this "technology" never finds a use on the salt. I understand computer
managed engines and am all for that especially on a turbo motor, it is a must
but that kind of drag racing just sucks!

John Backus 309 F/D