in my shop

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: in my shop
From: Allen & Trish <riveroak@cncnet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 17:13:34 -0700
Well, small steps -- removed the GMC 270 from the '46 chev cabover truck
that I had sold to my friend Rich.  After taking out the radiator, found
that we had to unbolt the cab and and jack it up high enough to lift the
engine out of the hole it was in.  Cabover's are kinda different when
removing an engine.  Rich is going to put the cab on a newer chassis and
use a V8, so he didn't need the 270.  Besides, I sold it to him sooo
cheap that he felt (well almost) obligated to give it to me. He also
gets to help me overhaul it.  Put the dragster on a set of dollies that
I got on sale at Harbor Freight and moved it sideways out of the way so
I could off load the 270 from my pickup.  Next, got to get the 270 on
the engine stand (flathead V8 now on it) so I can start tearing it down.

Katie Young Cortez --> do you inliners have any suggestions on where to
get info on rebuilding one of these?  I have most of the inline catalogs
for engine parts and speed equipment.  Any hints on what kind of hp or
rpm that can be expected?  And Katie, thanks for the kind welcome works
a few days ago!  I have five beautifully restored (overhauled) 97 carbs
waiting for my projects.  Two are earmarked for the flathead highboy
that I'm building and three to five for the 270.  Any comments would be
appreciated.

Baby steps indeed.  .....Allen in Oroville Ca.