Re: Flathead ignition quirks..

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flathead ignition quirks..
From: brian falkner <falken@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 12:16:45 +1200
Scott,
 you have full/constant vacuum from the manifold,
therefore you have full advance.....all the time.

The 8BA engines took dizzy vacuum from the carburettor
at a point above the throttle butterfly's.
Vacuum/advance increased as the throttles opened.
8BA dizzies were vacuum advance only.
The first centrifugal/vacuum advance unit was the 1957 Y block.

Hope your Rochester has a vacuum take-off as per the Ford carbs.
Other options are a Mallory or a converted Chrysler dizzy I think.

Try Bill Bentley's excellent Flathead site for the conversion and
lots of interesting stuff.

http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/flathead.htm

 Its supposed to be winter here but we have temperatures
 5 to 6 degrees above average...its like late summer!.
Brian NZ