Modified Sports - rear engined

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Modified Sports - rear engined
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 14:16:17 -0400
Thanks to those who have responded.  Clearly there is a view that a car
should be set up as an arrow or hammer - mass ahead of centre of pressure
to run straight.  The difference between concrete and salt will be a major
factor in building a car.  It would appear that two cars are needed to
ensure optimum performance for each type of venue...and no, I cannot afford
that option.

What is interesting is that the makers of so called supercars (including
McLaren with the F1) must be getting the weight and aerodynamics right for
the cars to perform in a straight line on concrete and tarmac.  Most have
59% weight on the rear wheels.  The McLaren F1 went 240 mph with a C motor
on a straight tarmac course......but I cannot afford the 1 million dollars
list price either.

How far forward can the driver be positioned within the body when ahead of
the engine?

Modified Sports allows a rear wing if the car is fitted with one as
standard from the dealer.  The rule book does not mention whether the wing
fitted to  Mod Sports has to be the same size shape or material as the
standard fitment.  Nor does it say  where its attachment or position must
be.....therefore I could hang it rearwards and higher from the body to move
the CoP.  Or could I?

I will keep people guessing on the original car make for now.  For a Brit
in a country where we have had circuit racing with our form of Modified
Sports Cars for decades, the SCTA/ECTA Mod Sports body options are quite
diverse.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.