RE: Modified Sports - rear engined

To: "'Malcolm Pittwood'" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>,
Subject: RE: Modified Sports - rear engined
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 11:40:28 -0700
Hi Malcolm,

Can't afford a $1M McLaren F1?  Want to borrow mine?  LOL

You might be able to do enough with ballast to account for the "two cars"
issue.  We did discuss ballast and aerodynamics quite extensively about six
months ago.  The consensus was, at least for loose surfaces, the center of
pressure must remain behind the CG.

Although an F1 may have 55-60% of its weight on the rear wheels, I suspect
its center of pressure is still behind the CG.

Dale C.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Subject: Modified Sports - rear engined

Thanks to those who have responded.  Clearly there is a view that a car
should be set up as an arrow or hammer - mass ahead of centre of pressure
to run straight.  The difference between concrete and salt will be a major
factor in building a car.  It would appear that two cars are needed to
ensure optimum performance for each type of venue...and no, I cannot afford
that option.

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..