Oil testing

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil testing
From: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 18:00:05 -0700
List
I had the oil in my 89 T-Bird (same as the Airport rental) tested.
The lab reported that the oil was highly heat stressed, the viscosity
was above 50 and it contained a high level of iron. All else OK.
At no time did the gage ever indicate hot nor was the oil ever low.
It has never pulled a trailer. Four times it worked hard going
uphill in the summer, gage went from 1/2 scale to 2/3.
The oil was Castrol Syntec 5W-50.
I was very puzzled.
I called the lab and while discussing the above was told that if
I used a synthetic base oil like Mobile 1, Red Line or any of the
others, the viscosity would probably OK and the iron level would
probably be 1/2 or less.
He said that Syntec used a very highly refined petroleum base and
performed in the standard test as well as the synthetic base oils,
thus Castrol can call it "synthetic"

Bryan