Forwarded: Spiral-lock removal

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: Spiral-lock removal
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 02:57:18 -0600 (MDT)
For some reason, this was sent to me rather than land-speed@autox.team.net.

mjb.
----

     From: "Kimbro, Ray E" <ray.kimbro@eds.com>
     Subject: Spiral-lock removal
     Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:24:59 -0500

LSRers,

I use spiral-lock wristpin retainers in my HD. The best tool that I've found
to perform the patience-testing feat of removing them is a little "pick"
manufactured by Snap-On.  It looks like a skinny punch with a slight bend on
the end.  I use this tool in conjunction with a tiny little flat-bladed
screwdriver to hold the spiral-lock in place, and dig the edge of the
spiral-lock out of the piston's retaining-ring groove with the pick. You can
then slide the remainder of the spiral-lock out by pushing the screwdriver
into the gap between the "free" end and the part of the spiral-lock that is
still in the retaining-ring groove, and chasing it around the circle.

Hope this helps,

Ray Kimbro