Re: Goodyear racing tires & tire slippage

To: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Goodyear racing tires & tire slippage
From: "Ed Van Scoy" <edvs@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:49:17 -0700
I have been using Goodyears for 8 years with good results. I initially ran 8
inch

Talledegas which were way too wide for LSR use on a Vette. After a bit of
experimenting, I have settled into 4.5 in Frontrunners with 15x7 on the rear.
One

important aspect often over-looked is the section width of the tire. The
Talladegas
had 8" wide contact patch but the tire was 12" wide. The 7" Goodyears I am
running
on the rear now do have 4 deep grooves in them (otherwise they're slicks) & of
course the Frontrunners have slight tread. I can't remember the section width on
the
rears, but they pretty much stand straight up, unlike the Talledegas that
appeared
much wider than they really were. Bottom line, they have worked well for me but
I'm only running 215 mph (hoping to do MUCH better this year.
Ed
P.S Howard, my "tire guy" is Jim Doughty at Shelby, undoubtably you know Jim &
Patti (and Donnie)?