Speedweek

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedweek
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:57:00 -0700
My question is what occurs on what days. I see that it is listed for Aug
10th - Aug 17th.
Is Friday Aug 10th strictly for the participants to get checked in? Are
there any passes made that day?
At what point in time does the whole deal become interesting for a spectator
and when does it stop becoming interesting?

***********

Jeff,

Friday August 10th is set aside for inspection and setup. For a gearhead the
lowkey, laid back atmosphere of Friday is a good time to look at all the
vehicles and ask questions of the racers. You will notice that you will have
closer contact with the participants here than in other forms of motorsports.
Be ready to help if asked, good hands are always welcome.

Racing starts on Sat. after the driver's meeting at approx. noon, maybe sooner
if all is in readiness.

Inspections and qualifying continue every day for the rest of the week. A
vehicle which has qualified for a record attempt(.001 mph in excess of the
existing record) will be in the impound area until 7 AM(Utah time) the
following day when the team will try to complete the second half of the record
run. If successfull they will return to the impound for certification.
Qualifying will resume following the last record attempt. Please visit the web
site www.scta-bni.org for complete details of activites at Speedweek. Just
click on Bonneville in the left margin.

Personally I think it's all interesting. You will see a slow down of activitiy
arounf Thursday as a lot of people will have either accomplished what they set
out to do or broken their toy and used up all remaining spares. The heavy
hitters, Teague, Vesco, Burkeland, etc. will run with everyone else, they get
in line just like the guy who runs 100 mph. There is no separation of classes,
you come the starting line when you think you're ready.

Hope this info answers some of your questions. I am sure others will have a
differing opinion on when the interest level begins to lag. Be sure to attend
the Salt Talks at the bend in the road when they are held.

Dan Warner