Re: valve seals

To: <LGMCAFEE@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: valve seals
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 17:47:50 -0400
As Tom Bryant stated, many of us have run this combination for some time.
Silicon Bronze is preferable with boosted engines and I have experienced the
exhaust seals blown off the guide, particularly on one setup that had a
rather high exhaust backpressure.  (bad headers).
This was remedied with a very slight reaming of the exhaust guide.  Actually
really corrected with a better exhaust header.  If you are concerned with a
lack of lube on exhaust valve guides, this reaming will help.  In
production, we (Fraud) used a viton lip seal with a garter spring that had a
very specific leak rate so the exhaust valve would have some lube under
vacuum conditions. (long term durability).  I have done a number of engines
with these exhaust seals on all valves and had excellent results.
Unfortunately they do not fit the typical bronze insert.

Rick Byrnes