converting from 6 to 12 volt

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: converting from 6 to 12 volt
From: "Rose & Terry Hunt" <hunt@Kuentos.guam.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 18:36:06 +1000
List, I need help!  I have a 47 Ford Woodie. It's originally 6 volt, positive
ground. I'm converting to 12 volt. I  had Matt Williams who drives the
Raspberry Rocket convert the starter and generator to 12 volt. He sent me a 12
volt regulator and 12 volt coil, also. I've changed the lite bulbs to 12 volt,
changed the cigar lighter element to 12 volt, bought two 12 volt horns and a
12 volt relay( it says lites), bought a 12 volt motor for the heater fan. For
the instrument circuit, I was thinking to use a series of diodes to reduce the
voltage to 6 volts. Also, same idea for the original radio and clock. My
understanding is that there is about a 1 volt drop per diode. I would also
like to use a NEGATIVE ground system. Also what about the ampmeter. Do I run
the wire thru as original or backwards? I've had this car for 25 years but
it's been sitting for 10 years. I got it running last week by jumping to the
coil with the generating system disconnected and it ran great, oh happy day.
Anybody who has been thru this or has knowledge, please reply. My brain is
even older than this car. Thanks, Terry Hunt, Guam Bomb, #743