Re: salt moisture

To: Dan Warner <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Subject: Re: salt moisture
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 09:06:03 -0400
Well Dan I am not all that bright either, though i suspect you are playing dumb
with that statement,  but I have heard a lot of times about good salt and bad
salt. I have made this comment myself at times, but based solely on an opinion
and gut feel of what it might hook up power wise. I would like to actually
quantify what makes good salt and bad salt. It has to be related to moisture,
hardness and overall traction. I use durometers  and pyrometers on tires. The
other half of the interface is the salt in my humble opinion. I seems for the
most part most of the cars are traction limited so there comes a time to just
close the hood and work on the real problem it seems. Been there and done that
in many forms of racing with a good deal of success. Now i will have to state
right up front my specific knowledge of chassis setup is limited for the most
part to seeing what works on other cars and making sure the tires have air in
them and generally pointed in the right direction. But this info in the hands of
someone that does know what they are doing might be very useful getting the car
hooked up. I am personally trying to break the cycle of more ballast then more
power to haul the ballast then more ballast to hook up the new power.......
I would think data from the starting line and various points on the return road
would give a good general clue. And if it is a complete waste of time, I will be
out of everyone's hair and just plodding along doing nothing of any consequence
short of amusing myself and onlookers. But if it does work and show some promise
just might end up with a faster car..

Dave Dahlgren
Who is still sure it is all about where the rubber meets the road!!!!!!