Nitrous question

To: "'land-speed@autox.team.net'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Nitrous question
From: "Smith, Simon-Pierre" <Simon-Pierre.Smith@PSS.Boeing.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:22:17 -0700
I have zero experience with nitrous so go easy on me.
This isn't exactly a land-speed question but it seems a good place to ask.  In
our local motorcycle roadrace club they allow nitrous in only one class,
"formula unlimited".  Absolutely no-one uses it.  So here's my thought.  If I
get a nice modern 750 and leave it bone stock (well, new exhaust) I can run in
the production class, then attach nitrous to run in the formula unlimited class.

Questions:
1)  How much nitrous would a 40 horse hit for 10 seconds done 10 times take?
2)  The hits would be done every minute and 30 seconds.  Will this allow time
for the bottle to warm up?  Do I need a heater?
3)  Are there other mods to the bike needed?  Remember I plan to run with a
stock setup through the twisties and short straights, so lower compression or
retarded ignition are out.  An ignition retard just when the N2O hits is
possible.
4)  Any estimate on how much wear would be increased.  It is usually possible
to go a good 10-15 race weekends without a top end rebuild.  I'd hate to turn
that into 3.
5)  What happens when I crash and the bottle grinds through or the valve gets
busted off the top?  Tipover switches are standard issue so the ignition/fuel
pump would be off.

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Simon Smith