Inspiration for forthcoming events in USA

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Inspiration for forthcoming events in USA
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:24:38 -0400
Following a quiet period in the UK for record attempts, the latest news
from England is of a new outright motorcycle record (subject to Auto Cycle
Union Ratification).
Riding a turbocharged 1300cc Suzuki Hayabusa Jack Frost achieved records
for the flying start kilometre at 220.37 mph and flying start 1/4 mile at
222.19 mph.  These are avergaes of two runs in opposite directions through
the timing trap centred on an airfield runway.  The attempt was made under
ACU rules here in the UK.  The rider used an airfield in Suffolk called
Woodbridge - which may be known to some USA Service men and women.  The
runs were completed in 15 minutes.
The 222.19 mph speed is the fastest wheeldriven speed (quicker than the car
record) ever achieved here in the UK
The production bike (1300cc class)record was broken by Mike Grainger on a
1300cc Kawasaki at 187.48 mph for the kilo.  Alan Tinnion broke the 600cc
production record at 156.71 mph.  Richard Albarns achieved an over 200 mph
record in the 2000cc class, riding his 1600cc Suzuki Hayabusa to 206.04
mph.
I hope that this will inspire the motorcycle racers on the list to run fast
and safe at Bonneville.  I won't be in the USA for this meeting, but may
see racers later in the year on the east coast.
Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.