Re: got back and finally up and running

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Subject: Re: got back and finally up and running
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:22:20 -0400
Well I am not sure what to do about the lightening either move maybe .. The
nitrous was not an issue out there at all. We had no issues at all with the
nitrous that worked just fine. We did have one engine that was oiling # 4 plug
from the first fire up so that was a wasted effort and had some issues either
with the oiling system baffling and or crankcase breathing that was changed from
the dyno to the car unknown to me at the time. #4 and #6 plugs were cold
compared to the rest in that engine from the start and a tad oilly to boot also.
I suspect the engine builders on those two engines need to buff up a bit on
crankcase breathing in endurance engines. I can do a lot with tune up and data
acq but it is real hard to 'download' pistons rings and oil scrapers with a
laptop computer..
Handling was another issue altogether as the car had so many possible things not
right it was hard to know where to start. We lost the rear springs while towing
out and got that replaced but with used springs of unknown condition or if they
were even a 'pair' off the same car. Did find some tire stagger problems and
that helped a little but not enough to do what had to be done. Plenty of good
quarter speeds but one thing or another lead to an aborted run. Lots to do in
the shop i am afraid and need real answers without the words 'I think it is' or
'it might be'.. personally I think it is time to toss all the science and
realted tricks away till we can make a full pass under power the entire 5 miles
with no problems handling or engine. Then it is time to hop it up a bit...
Dave Dahlgren