Wooden's Tires

To: Land-speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wooden's Tires
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 22:25:39 -0400
List,
John Beckett and I got to look over Earl's car with Jim Miller and a
couple of things stood out. The drive train is off-set to the right and
he blistered a right rear tire the day before. The car had a lot on lead
mounted in front of the rear. He was running Goodyear Landspeed
tires...brand new!!!  There were chunks off the center. Earl was
traveling at 288 out of the four mile...obviously that tire was loaded
and probably spinning...I'd like to see a data acquisition readout on
that run. One can not expect to see any tire take that kind of abuse. I
have seen drag slicks spin in the lights and get a slight
blister...guess what...they either fail soon after that or they change
circumference, then fail!

I wonder out loud if Keith's tire circumference issue was also a
heat/spin/load relationship???

I'd also like to publicly thank Jim Miller for the opportunity to "learn
for the remains". Looking at how the structure held up and bent, taught
me a couple of "must do's" when designing future projects.

joe