Tear down stuff

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tear down stuff
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:36:15 -0500
Well I have been kinda quite for a couple of reasons... but mostly Cause I
am cleaning up the mess of the Last month.... and I really didn't want to
say much till I had the Motors apart and knew something more then that they
were Broke....

Seems the Rodeck was first on my agenda.... besides it was outta the car...

Summery.... Three holed pistons.... and an extra fractured one for good
measure..... 3...4...8 were bad and 5 is fractured... all the holes are
right at the intersection of the valves farthest away from the plug.... the
weakest part of the piston..... but here is what I also noted....  there are
spots around the edge of a couple of them that have been burned off like it
was run Really Lean at one point.... and since I had the Data acquisition
thank's to Dave.... I know we didnt' run it lean in our attempts at
Bonneville.... that and the burned edges matched the cylinders .....
indicating it had been run this way for X amount of time..... Hence.... the
only time it was run lean was on the Dyno..... I have held my tongue rather
well about my dyno experience and really don't want to bad mouth the
fella.... but he reworked one of our Carb's and totally messed it up....
then proceeded to run the Motor on the dyno with BSFC numbers in the Low 2
range..... READ WAY TO DAMN LEAN..... so There is a Very stong possiblity
that the pistons were severly weakened on the Dyno and that is what we had
to run on the Salt....

The Cast Iron Motor has all it's Pistons and rotates freely.... no holes no
appearent damage..... but #4 is rather clean and has this Nice Blue Hue....
oh and that Blue Hue...( NOT BLUE HAIR ) smells like C-16..... in otherwords
it wasn't firing.... or Not Much....there was a bit of dark in the chamber
but that is exactly what it was doing on the course.... running everywhere
but under a Load..... I think Dave's might be right and look forward to
snatching the piston outta the hole..... There maybe a compression ring in
upside down.... Can't find any other issue with the chamber at all.... Hmmm
so that is still left to do....

I also somehow drilled the 6 speed and haven't done a tear down of it
yet.... oh and the trailer cleaning showed the amount of  damage from the
Shredded tire on the way home wasn't quite as bad as it looked.... that
leaves the rear suspension and squaring the car here in the next couple of
day's to do..... Long weekend.... but honestly it really brought my spirits
up to see I hadn't destroyed Totally everything I own....

Keith ( yeah there was a 1/2 wrench that survived the trip in tact )