Re: Tires

To: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Tires
From: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 00:14:29 -0700
Bryan & List,
Before I balanced my tires I talked to a number of Winston Cup & Busch Shops
to find out how they prepped for (200 MPH) Talladega.  Most use a local tire
shop that has a standard computer spin balance to 100 MPH. This is where I
took my tires to get balanced, cost $9.50 each. I asked that they use the
flexible "stick-on" weights so I could fit my moon disks. I used a little
epoxy to secure them and had no problems up to 226 MPH.
As for as the salt sticking to the insides of the rims, that's a problem.
Most NASCAR guys have the same problem with hot tire rubber (which is quite
a bit stickier). I used a combination of "Mud-Off" and silicone spray, got
some salt but not enough to make any difference. On my 10" rims there's a
flat shelf about 6" wide and I only got a thin line of salt, evenly spread
across the surface. Obviously we had some great conditions to run and if the
salt was wetter it would have been more of a problem (I think).
Grib