Re: Dry Lakes Question...

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: Dry Lakes Question...
From: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 13:48:00 -0700
Mayf
A good example of this is Black Rock. 15 miles of very flat playa that has
a surface like very flat potato chips, about 3.8" thick. Perfect for land
sailors because as the surface crumbles you get good side bite. Make a pass
and wait 10-20 minutes for the dust to settle. (under good conditions)
Wind over 10 MPH and dust - unbelievable dust. Much finer that even Muroc.
Anyone going out there should consider taking a GPS receiver.
Nearest hospital is Reno. Only one motel in Gerlach, but 5 bars.
I've been told about one much like Black Rock in NE Nevada that is much
more remote. As Glen mentioned, all are under BLM stewardship. The only dry
lake I've heard of that has a surface similar to El Mirage is El Jafar (sp)
in Jordan. Most have a surface like Black Rock.

Bryan