A good laugh for all! But, whats the trick?

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>, Keith Turk
Subject: A good laugh for all! But, whats the trick?
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 06:34:40 -0700 (PDT)
This is gonna sound like a stupid question, but
please remember, this is the first SBC I have
ever really played with, so after ya get done
laughing and wipe the tears out of your eyes,
please give me a little advice and promise not to
tease me next time you see me.

What is the secret to getting the timing cover
back on without buggering up the main seal and
getting a seal along the bottom where the cover
meets the oil pan.  When I pulled the cover off
after having replaced the cam, I found that I had
not gotten a very good seal along the front
bottom. The neoprene strip had squirmed out of
the way and had left a small gap.  I looked
around for directions, and the directions I found
said to remove and replace the oil pan ????  You
gotta be kidding. Can't that little neoprene
strip along the bottom be slit in half and slid
back together with half glued into the oil pan
and the other half in the timing cover after
coating with Permatex or something like that?  I
remember trying to angle the cover and struggling
to get it high enough to get the gasket to seat
on the front of the oil pan and that I had to
push the main seal pretty hard against the bottom
of the crank snout (and apparently still didn't
get it high enough to slip into place along the
fron t of the oil pan.

I know this seems like an awful basic question,
but it certainly has me puzzled.

Dick J