Re: carb adjuistments

To: "LSR list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: carb adjuistments
From: "Chris R Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:10:54 +1200
>   I put a holley 870cfm on my 440 and I love it but I'm having trouble
> getting the accelerator cam  selection right. The engine seems to need a
> healthy shot to prevent off the line stumble, but once I'm rolling that
same
> amount of shot  appears to be too much and causes a rich stumble.Should I
> richen up the primaries so I can use a smaller accelerator cam? This is
the
> first time I've used a Holley so this is new territory for me, I bought
the
> carb for my next trip to Maxton to help increase my top end mile per hour
by
> increasing the engines breathing capabilities.
> Help!!!!   Scott

Couple of things Scott,
First make sure the ignition timing is where it should be at both idle and
fully advanced.
Check both float levels are correct.
Check that the primary butterflies are neither to far open or to closed. You
should see between 20 to 40 thou of the transition slot exposed below the
butterfly when in the idle position.
Adjusting the idle position of the secondary butterflys can compensate once
the primaries are in the right range.
Adjust idle mixture screws to give the highest manifold vacuum reading at a
low idle with trans in drive.
Fine tune with different size pump shooters and coloured cams.
Check for air leaks by tightening manifold, carb mounts, carb base to body
and float bowls plus any hoses attached to the manifold that may be loose or
split.
Slightly ruptured or loose power valves can give you the tuning run around
also.
Happy tuning.
Chris Harris..............NZed