Re: Welded Wheels and Interior panels

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, "Ed Van Scoy" <edvs@uswest.net>,
Subject: Re: Welded Wheels and Interior panels
From: Ken Bond <kmb2@humboldt.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:11:53 -0700
At 03:09 AM 09/25/01 -0500, Keith Turk wrote:
>Ed it's my understanding that the wheels must be welded all the way around
>the backside where the wheel attaches to the rim,  Front and Rear?

WHEELS:

I happen to have last year's rule book at the office and it says:

"Wheels must be manufactured for racing purposes or reinforced as follows;
by welding the entire area of attachment between the rim and the center
section of either the inside or the outside of the wheel."

NO distinction between front and rear.  The only 'fudge factor' would be the
phrase 'manufactured for racing.'  If those wheels were "Riveted" then
you would be OK (I think).  However, I don't know of any racing wheel
mfgt. that rivets, I think they all weld the entire attachment.

Steve... side point, you are also required to use 1" lugs.  Most
racing wheels have a 45 degree taper (not 60 degree which is standard
passenger car) and the wheels and lugs must obviously match in taper.

As for interiors... I'm in the group that favors the removal of
fabrics and have written Dan W. about the issue.  Keith, I agree 100%
fabrics don't make the car go faster and only increase the risks
in case of fire.

KEN

* Ken Bond,                                                 *
* Prof. of Bus. Admin.                                      *
* Humboldt State Univ.              ____________            *
* Arcata, CA 95521          _______| 58  85  99 |_________  *
*                          /     How much horsepower     /  *
*                         /      Can I have and still   /   *
* Wk.:707.826.4277       /_________ go to Heaven?______/    *
* Wk Fax:707.826.6666              |_61______61_|           *
* Hm.:707.826.7764           I Never Drive Faster than      *
* Hm Fax:707.826.0334        My Guardian Angel Can Fly      *
* Internet:                                                 *
* kmb2@humboldt.edu (office)                                *
* ragtops@humboldt1.com (home)                              *