Choosing a ride...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Choosing a ride...
From: "Jim Rose" <jimrose@lightstream.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:08:39 -0400
    Much thanks to Richard F, Keith T, Dick J, Daniel W, and others for your
input in my quest to create an LSR ride.  Your input has gotten the gears in
my head turning.  I am especially influenced by the article by Sam Samson on
the ECTA web site, and am leaning toward the '41 Ford as my project car.  I
have to limit myself to the projects I have on hand as obtaining yet another
vehicle is not a wise move. (You know, the old lady...)
    Anyway, my dad's first car was a '41 Ford, hence his purchase of this
car some 12 years back.  We never got to work on it, and it was given to me
when he became ill a few years ago, so I will never get rid of it.  After
reading Sam's article, I remembered a bolt my dad had given me. The head is
embossed with the Spirit car, from the early '60's.  Not sure how
he got it, but I know he was at Bonneville for one of Breedlove's runs.
    His intentions when he got the '41 was to do a '50s custom.  I think he
would approve of a '50's land speed racer just the same.  :)
    The challenge, as I see it, is to replicate how the car would have been
built for speed back then.
    I think I'm on to something here...

    ...I have access to a straight six GMC engine.
    A GM powered Ford?
    Ewe...

JR