Re: Salt

To: wspotter <wester6935@home.com>
Subject: Re: Salt
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:41:11 -0500
At 08:47 AM 9/27/01, you wrote:
>Grib, Dan,
>  I wash it off and try to get
>everything that is there but with the salt from Bonneville and the salted
>roads in the winter it's an uphill battle.  Too bad ... truck has a 350 with
>a 4 barrel, HE ignition and 4-bolt mains, 120,000 well maintained miles ...
>hope I can find a potential street rodder buyer with vision.  I'll have to
>order some of the Salt-X.  Send me details off line please.  My '97 pickup
>goes to the salt next year.
>
>Wes
Howdy, I have a 76 chevy truck with 'bout 200K on it, ( the Pig) new
engine, trans, rearend, air cond. ball joints, etc....well, the same thing
happened, salt from the Flats, and the Wisconsin winters here ate the body
up. In '98 I called Southern Truck Parts, John Hartney 515-287-2631 ((No
connection or kickbacks)) and got a 82 chevy body from Texas, bed, body and
front clip total 1400$, then spent a month of afternoons and weekends
switching the body, (replacing brake lines is real easy to do with the body
off, shoulda done the exhaust at the same time), painted everything I could
with POR 15 after sandblasting for roughness, then undercoated it too.... I
now wash the truck off with the pressure washer at Wendover, then at home,
crawl under it with a hose and get good and wet rinsing it by hand, then a
spray of SaltX . I used SaltX on the old body only a couple of times in 96
& 97, maybe it helped, it lasted a long time and it should have had more
rust, but who knows.......another trick I did a couple of years, was spray
used oil on the underbody before the trip to the Salt....got tired of the
oil drips all over my drive, and my clothes!!!  and sure didn't like the
oil splashed all over my self either!!!! but it might have helped too.....
         When this truck body goes, I'll probably not do that again, I'll
be 60+ or so, and I think I'll trade money for time on that one, and just
buy a good truck.....but I've been known for being pretty stubborn on lost
causes, and I just might fight my way through it again.....
         anyway I'm working on the race car for next years SpeedWeek,
plumbing up a new bigger exhaust, and machining new rocker arms, and picked
up some pink styrofoam to begin building a new fairing for the BSA,,,,,
         ahhh, its gonna be a good winter......maybe this year I'll be
ready in JUNE instead of the thrash in August....I hope to campaign both
the race car and the bike for Speeweek, gonna have my kid brother shoe the
racecar while I try not to fall off the bike....hey drive careful out
there.....

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316
        Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                 Bonneville Salt Flats
            H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                   131.333 MPH set 1995
                   136.666 MPH set 1996
                   140.292 MPH set 2000
                   144.396 MPH set 2000
     MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                    95.193 MPH set 2001