Procedures-Drivers-Logic

To: William T Smith <WmTSmith@landracing.com>, Jim Dincau
Subject: Procedures-Drivers-Logic
From: wspotter <wester6935@home.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 07:16:40 -0700
List,

As the quality of the salt surface improves there will be more prominent
pressure ridges and that will require smoothed exits from the marked course.
One thing Gary Allen had us do at World of Speed was to drag exit paths away
from the course immediately AFTER the mile markers.  This gave the drivers a
target area to look at for exits.  There were several appreciative comments
that I heard from experienced racers.  It did make sense to use something
that was on the course anyway as a landmark for drivers with limited
visibility.

With one course, turning off to the right for normal exits and to the left
with problems makes sense when you remember we have wire strung along the
left side of the course for the timing eyes.  Also the spectators are kept
off the right side of the course so it cuts down on traffic problems.
Course watchers are on the left side and the turnoff in their direction
shortens emergency response times.  If it's logical it works better.

Wes