Re: Procedures-Drivers-Logic-

To: glen barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>,
Subject: Re: Procedures-Drivers-Logic-
From: wspotter <wester6935@home.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:19:03 -0700
Skip, List,
On any high speed run the safety crews are moving toward the estimated
stopping area for the car as the car is still on the course.  If you can
tell me exactly where they will stop we will have people there as well.  The
ambulance crew is in the ambulance with the engine running as an extra fast
car goes by.  Ed and Chris are moving down the return road area where it
moves toward the path of the car at speed.  So are Dave and Carol with the
extraction equipment and Dennis with the Cold Fire.  The reason we have our
course watchers on the left side of the course is to allow them a better
chance of reaching a problem quickly from the side of the course where the
car should be going if there is a problem.  That along with everyone else on
the move puts a large number of people at the site of a problem in the
shortest amount of time.  We are covering about six square miles of course
and surroundings from the 3 1/2 on.  If a car goes out of that "box" our
best crews are already on their way at high speed and the FM radio is
advising others of the circumstances.  The black panels with the observer in
the scissors lift were our improvement for this year to allow better course
control.

After Tom Burkland's 122 mph roll over I pulled across the return road at
the 5 and stopped pure spectators from going down there.  The Shearer's were
there almost as soon as the car stopped moving.  We had all the people we
needed at the car almost immediately.  The radio communications worked, we
knew he walked to the ambulance and we knew we had the right people there
because of the communications.  I don't know that you can ask for more than
that.  If we had needed anything else we could have had it there within
minutes but I can't think of anything else we would have needed.

There would be many more upset racers if someone ran over the timing wires
after almost every run and eventually damaged them.  Believe me, this has
been thought out and fine tuned by everyone concerned and has resulted in
many sleepless nights while people thought out potential problems.  This is
as good as it can reasonably get.  I'll stack our people up against the best
in the business.  They also cover the SCTA/BNI meets on the salt as well as
the occasional private meet.  They are at every club meeting during the year
for feedback, always open to workable suggestions for improvement.

Wes