Re: Procedures-Drivers-Logic-

To: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat@pro-blend.com>,
Subject: Re: Procedures-Drivers-Logic-
From: wspotter <wester6935@home.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 10:07:22 -0700
Skip,

I'm just trying to explain what I have been told is our thinking in response
to your concerns.

As I mentioned ... the wire is on the left side of the course for the total
3.04 mile distance of the time traps.  We avoid driving over it whenever
possible
At the critical spot on the course the safety crews are at the most 1,000
feet from the vehicle as it is moving.  Perhaps 12 seconds away at the most.
They are moving too.  The turn to the left signals a problem and alerts
everyone.
Normal turns, and there are many more of them,  to the right do not go over
the wire and require a more routine response.  There is a trade off ... more
runs with intact wire and no missed times or a few seconds in response to an
undetermined spot.  I maintain that the difference is so minimal that it is
hard to quantify.
Safety equipment on the left (mountain) side of the course would be at the
most maybe five to ten seconds closer and they would be running across the
course around 120 times to meet the conclusion of normal runs, they would be
crossing the wires constantly and they would be crossing the dragged and
marked course, thereby delaying the course clearance required for the next
car to be sent.
In the great majority of problems the safety people are there by the time
the car stops moving.  When they are not, the vehicle is so far from normal
targeted stopping areas that you can't outguess the problem.  Like the time
Gary went over in front of the pits.  All you can do is what we do, drive
toward a spot or the moving car.  When a car loses a chute they are
obviously tipped off and start moving immediately.  Not much more you can do
unless  you put up a big catch net and have everyone go there ... and if
there is a problem as we saw the year the net was up, most drivers would
miss that anyway because they are so busy with on board stopping procedures.

So my best answers to your questions are;

The real time response differential is so small as to be almost not a
factor.
The great preponderance of normal responses are on the right side of the
course.  We need someone there just in case of things like unnoticed alcohol
fires, oil fires, that kind of problem.
The wire is on the left and we want to avoid that whenever possible.
The rare emergency exception is impossible to provide for without 3 or 4
more safety trucks.
With people on both sides of the course we can be aware of problems as they
are noticed.
Turning to the left is the best signal of problems ... the a-typical
position of the car triggers the response.
We probably can't do better than we do now until we eliminate the wire and
add other safety rovers at the far end.  What we're doing now seems to work
extremely well.

The solution to your concerns would obviously be a 4th and 5th safety truck
... hard to come up with.

Wes