WOS Time Slip Data Massage...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: WOS Time Slip Data Massage...
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 22:23:27 -0700
Well, I finally got the data sorted to my liking, although I haven't really
plotted it. In fiddling with the time slip data I made a few internal ground
rules. That is a vehicle needed to make it at least to the 3 mile flags so
that car would have had to get 2 speeds: one at the 2 1/4 trap and through
the full first measured mile. If a vehicle reached top speed and slowed
through the next mile, I used only the top speed and mile marker where that
occurred. I normalized each vehicle to it's top speed. So here is some
preliminary info and maybe the final look also. Not as interesting as I
thought it would be.

  Mile         % of Max Speed     # of Vehicles
2.2500             0.9464                      82
3.0000             0.9651                      82
4.0000             0.9802                      43
5.0000            1.0000                       29

That is of the 82 vehicles that surrived the ground rules I set up, the
average spercentage of their individual maximum speeds was 94.64 percent.
That is 100% of the 82 vehicles was able to reach an average of 94.64 % of
their top speeds. That same 82 vehicles made it to the 3 mile flag
(naturally, my ground rule!) and they were able to gain speed up to 96.51%
of their top speeds by that point. Now it is interesting that nearly one
half, 39, bailed out between the 3 and 4 mile marker. I do not know whether
or not this was automotive darwinism in action or they were somehow
licensing runs. But those remaining 43 vehicles gained another few
percentage points: 98.02% of their top speeds. Again there was a drop in the
number of vehicles running for the 5 mile flag. In this final category,
these vehicles finally reached their top speeds.

What does it all mean? I don't have the foggiest notion. A mental exercise
for me...interesting? I am not sure any longer. Pareto's law was ambushed
because my hypothesis was that 100% of the cars would reach 80% of their top
speed in 20% of the distance. Well, 20% of the distance is mile 1 and there
is no time trap there...so was doomed from the git go.

mayf, the confused, really ignorant, no dumb, desert rat in Pahrump.