Re: varity of classes

To: "Jim Bodenheimer" <bicwig@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: varity of classes
From: "landspeedracer" <landspeedracer@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:20:46 -0400
Well said Jim.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Bodenheimer
  To: rgribble ; gmc6power@earthlink.net
  Cc: landspeedracer ; land speed ; dwarner
  Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 10:05 AM

  List,
  I fail to see why we are fighting change so hard.  Change, especially new
classes makes us grow.  Isn't that the point?  I am proud to say that I was
there for the first meeting for the forming of the ECTA and am proud to see
it's progress and growth.  John and Tom did a great job for us left coasters.
But THINGS CHANGE!!!  New faces, ideas, strategies, etc. have made for much
better racing at Maxton.  We have and are continuing to grow as an
organization thanks to change.  If we had stayed the same, we may still be
running events for 10 or 12 vehicles.  My vote is create all of the new
classes that it takes.  If someone builds a car from an idea drawn on a
coctail napkin, maybe we should find a class for it to run in or create one so
that this person can experience the thrill as most of us have.

  As for the NASCAR deal, no those cars are not just alike.  Each one is as
different as night and day.  If they were the same, why then do some cars go
to the rear of the pack.  Why don't they run in one bunch(superspeedways
excluded).  That sport is about pooling alot of knowledge and making it work.
It's about taking a rule book and stretching it as far as you can.  It's about
spending many sleepless night trying to find that half of MPH.  Sound
familiar?  Kind of like us, huh?  Go to listquest and look at how many threads
there are about rule interpretations.  I think that Grib is doing great with
his car and going pretty fast too.  He has proved that he can go straight,
turn left, right, dodge cotton plants, course stewards, etc.  If I were going
to take a first run at high speeds, it would be in a car like his.  We've seen
cars go off course in shutdown and not come out intact.  Besides a radiator
duct full of dirt, I didn't see anything wrong with his when he had chute
problems at Maxton.  I understand that many of us have raced in circles in one
form or the other, but to put together a competitive team these days is a
monumental task that deserves respect, not scorn.

  I know what it takes to build a car for LSR from the ground up.  Many people
on this list have seen my mistakes and triumphs as a matter of fact.  I have
also raced in other series and I can tell you that NASCAR is not about going
fast and turning left anymore.  Anyone who thinks it's that simple should
field a team and try it.  While I love LSR with all my heart and can't wait to
get back in the seat, I don't think that we should bash other forms of racing.
Make fun of - YES, bash - no.  I mean come on, how traditional can a purple
fire suit be????????  Things change.

  And now we return you to our regurlarly scheduled program, already in
progress.......

  Jim Bodenheimer
  BICWIG Racing  "Best I Can with What I Got"
  Burlington, NC