Re: Public Highway Land Speed Record?

To: "Mike D MEIERLE" <mike.d.meierle@alcatel.com>
Subject: Re: Public Highway Land Speed Record?
From: "Ed Van Scoy" <edvs@uswest.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 18:32:30 -0700
Mike;
I run this race (at least I have 12 times) and I must say, it was responsible in
part for my getting into LSR 10 years ago (it's a long story). SCTA/BNI doesn't
have a copyright on "land speed racing" so I guess they can call it what they
want - even though it is blatantly incorrect. What they are doing is Open-Road
Racing, plain & simple. It would be no different if NASCAR suddenly decided to
call Daytona the site of the "NASCAR Land Speed Record" It's BS, you and I know
it, but it is a marketing tool for them. There is another "great sin" here: They
have a 200 MPH club for anybody averaging over 200 MPH in their race (complete
with shirts, hats etc.) As a "Red Hat Holder" myself, I am a bit peeved about
this but again, without a copyright, there is no infringement on the Bonneville,
El Mirage, Muroc, ECTA 200 Clubs they can call their club whatever they want.
Personally, I haven't lost any sleep over it, I just grin knowingly when one of
them brags about hitting 200 mph, downhill, on pavement, with a tail wind and 30
Ed