Re: Public Highway Land Speed Record?

To: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@uswest.net>,
Subject: Re: Public Highway Land Speed Record?
From: wspotter <wester6935@home.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:27:46 -0700
I've been over there three times to be a "gatekeeper" course watcher for
their May event.  After seeing how they handle communications (with the
little radios you use to keep track of your kids on the ski slopes or in the
mall) I'm not going back. It doesn't get better from year to year.  They
have someone in an airplane cruising the course and three ham operators
along the course who are supposed to be the radio relay for the safety
people.  The whole thing scares me.  Ed seems to handle it just fine but I
respect his skills and common sense.  There have been people killed during
these races.  Tech inspection leaves me with questions about the degree of
scrutiny and skill of the inspectors.  The "gatekeepers" as the safety
people are called are responsible for putting light chains and small
padlocks on three or four gates at each station (a mile or so apart) along
the totally fenced distance of the race, about ninety miles.  Often the
radios don't work and the messages about problems have to be relayed down
the length of the course to the next ham operator.  You're not supposed to
touch an injured driver, just report the problem.  Cars are flagged off
every thirty seconds and you are racing against a target speed which you and
the tech people agree on.  It's exciting to watch because of the volume of
traffic that is flagged off over three hours of the race.  Other than that,
it scares me.

Racers who average 145 for the ninety miles have a hard time getting over
130 on the salt.

Wes