Re: Public Highway Land Speed Record?

To: "wspotter" <wester6935@home.com>
Subject: Re: Public Highway Land Speed Record?
From: "Ed Van Scoy" <edvs@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:49:30 -0700
 <SNIP>  The whole thing scares me.  Ed seems to handle it just fine but I
respect
his skills and common sense.  There have been people killed during these races.
Tech inspection leaves me with questions about the degree of scrutiny and skill
of
the inspectors.

 Actually Wes, there are MANY aspects about that "sport" that make me
nervous....Yes
is is fun running 180 mph down a public highway without fear of arrest, but
THINGS
do happen. Two people have been killed - one was my driving instructor at a
course
at Las Vegas Motor Speedway- and the othe was the wife of a jerk that bullied
his
way through tech with unsafe tires. He won the argument, but when one of his
cheap
H-rated tires blew at 200 mph in his brand new Testerosa, his wife/navigator
died in
the crash & he spent several years recovering. Now he is sueing the promoter
claiming the accident was the promoter's  fault because they let him run the
race....... One of my friends & his wife are in the Las Vegas hospital right now
recovering from a crash in the September race. One of his tires blew at 190 and
his
Porsche rolled through the desert.  The tech inspection is a joke performed by
volenteers with little or no training. I suggested the logbook requirement (ala
SCTA)  several years ago & they couldn't see the usefulness (even when I
pointed out
that they could sell the books for a profit). They are beginning to toughen up
the
rule on harnesses after the Earnhardt incident, but they are still crazy to
tech my
stock ZR-1 to 165 mph without a roll bar. (About as crazy as me for driving it
at
that speed without a roll bar)

<SNIP>   Racers who average 145 for the ninety miles have a hard time getting
over
130 on the salt.

The first time I raced on the salt was 9 years ago in my red '85 Vette I built
specifically to run Open Road Races.. The Silver State Race was on Sunday, and
WOS
started on Tuesday, so I just drove up the road after the SS event.... I
averaged
just under 160 for the 90 miles with 180 showing on the speedometer on the 11
mile
downhill. The fastest I could go on the salt was 143 mph. Bill Ward must have
felt
sorry for me and he and Gary Allen gave me a few pointers on WHY I wasn't going
fast
and more important, HOW to go fast. Next year I came back & got in the 150 Club
:-)
and was hooked forever......
Ed