Re: Bonneville motel

To: wspotter <wester6935@home.com>, Glenn Ridlen <gridlen@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Bonneville motel
From: wspotter <wester6935@home.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:49:19 -0700
on 10/17/01 8:33 PM, wspotter at wester6935@home.com wrote:

> on 10/17/01 8:50 AM, Glenn Ridlen at gridlen@yahoo.com wrote:

>>> Wes
>>>
>>> We stayed there a couple of nights during Speed Week If
>> they continue to upgrade it might be OK next year. It
>> has some space in the back to park a trailer but it is
>> hidden from the street so might be attractive for
>> theives.
>>>
> Think about Wendover ... gamblers down on their luck, a possibly suspect
> non-local population and people who are living in horrible conditions.  It's
> safer to leave things in your pit on the salt.  There's a guard there.
>
> Wes

Not making a blanket condemnation.  I've never lost things there myself but
I'm just giving the truth of the situation.  The Utah side of the town is
the have-nots.  No tax base, 90 miles from from the next town of any
population in the county, a large population of people who are living in a
better situation than in their home country but still with sometimes two or
three people sleeping on the same bed in shifts.  Social workers from the
county tell me some interesting stories.  The former Utah State Senator
representing the county is family so we hear interesting things there too.
The State of Utah right now is considering giving Wendover to Nevada to
unite the town and allow the Nevada gambling to help support what is now the
Utah side.  The county took out bonds to improve the airport to attract more
traffic so now Wendover, UT is struggling to get anything in there to help
pay for that as well.

A few years ago it was suggested that some of the speed equipment
manufacturers might be interested in the city for a manufacturing facility.
The attractiveness of being located so near to the salt flats, decent
distribution location with Salt Lake 120 miles (two hours) away, willing
work force and costs would be mostly on the low side.  Compare that to some
of the facilities in Southern California and costs there.  Nothing came of
it.