wings versus weight ?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: wings versus weight ?
From: Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:18:11 -0400
   I run my car in A/FALT at Maxton but also drive my car on the street.In
the summer of 2003 I will be taking the car to Bonneville and I want to go
200mph. I have noticed that several people use added weight to aid traction
on the salt. I don't want to add weight as it would have to be bolted down
which would require drilling holes in this car.What I intend to do is add a
front air dam and put a wing on the trunk, reinforced that will look like
the wing of a Plymouth superbird.All reports I've seen say that at racing
speeds these wings could generate as much as 600lbs downforce. My car is
narrower and smaller that a 70 Daytona or Superbird but I figured if I could
get 300-400 pounds or downforce it would push the rearend down and aid
traction without burning out the tires.I realize that this would disqualify
my car for my class but I only want to run for time anyways not for a
record, my car isn't nearly fast enough for the Bonneville record.As long as
my car is safe enough will they let me do this? Is my thinking reasonable
here or off base? I'd appreciate a response guys and gals as I'm starting to
work on the car for the April meet at Maxton.
Scott, in cold and possibly snowy Oakville Ontario