Re: Re: weights for traction]

To: "Mike D MEIERLE" <mike.d.meierle@alcatel.com>,
Subject: Re: Re: weights for traction]
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:46:05 -0800
Scott,Mike, list

Ballast or weights must be secured in the vehicle to prevent coming loose
inside the vehicle. In the past I have recommended the use of bar-bell
weights. They come in weights of 5# and up. They are pre-drilled and this
allows for flat placement in the trunk area. Realizing that all vehicles are
different the weights may have to be molded in a form. Just use the proper
protection if melting lead etc.
Placement of the weight is a trial and error thing as far as proper balance
to the vehicle. There has been some talk this past few days on this subject.

Last November a vehicle got up side down at El Mirage and the ballast was
concrete poured in sheet metal box's and not properly secured in the
vehicle. One block was found some 800 foot from where the car stopped. The
driver was lucky in this case. The same requirements for batteries and fire
bottles. You sure as hell don't one flying around inside the car.
Glen