Dial Bore Gages

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dial Bore Gages
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:56:04 -0600
After much consideration, time and effort... I picked out my new Dial Bore
gage...

It's a Mitytoyo.. ( always remember spelling is an optional art form down
here)  and Enco ( www.use-enco.com) had it for 224 bucks on special this
week...  reads 1.7-2.4" and in ten thousands increments...  They also had
some pretty cool magnetic stands and dial indicators I had to have....(
just like Miss Kathy had to have the dang Bird )

I was going to buy a dial bore gage for the cylinders as well.... but upon
futher consideration I decided they are a machine shop process and I can't
do much with them anyway... with the Bearings I can do my own measuring and
adjusting with .001 shells or halves....

Basically this really comes down to having the ability to freshen up a
motor at home... Take it apart.... do the tear down analysis and put it
back together with the right clearances.... nothing fancy to alot of you
folks.... but it's a big thing for me.   I have built several motors in my
life... but never a quality race motor...  I have had some wonderful
teachers along the way.... I know HOW to do it just never really had the
tools to do Quality work... always depended on someone else.... Needless to
say it's just another one of the joys of what we are doing here.... I'm
looking forward to it.

Keith