Re: Car Status

To: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Car Status
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:54:52 -0500
Glen is right.  I have been quiet lately.  Some work time and some family
time.
We got the car home early Oct and I have been at it since then.  There sure
is lots of work to be done.
I need to comment again about the quality of work provided by Mel Swain.
Every time I do something, I have to admire his quality and workmanship.  It
certainly inspires me and is worth every penny I invested.

My work is going painfully slowly.  Since I work alone in a garage that
measures 20 X 14 feet, (actually a little less than 20), I cannot fit the
car inside unless the nose and tail, and rear wheels are removed.  I have
finally arrived with a design of a dolly that works for me in getting the
car around easily.  It took two design iterations, but the ease of movement
is worth the time spent.  The time to design and make something, then come
back into the shop the next morning and say "why in the #$% did I do it that
way" when this other way is better.  I have thrown away lots of 90%
completed parts and have a rather slow start.  At any rate, I have a number
of things almost done, but not quite finished.  A number of things where I
will leave the structural welding to one of my fabricator friends that welds
8 to 10 hours a day.  My little TIG welder is wonderful, but I am not.....as
a welder.

The tail of the car with parachute and exhaust tubes (6" dia) is 90% done.
On final fittment of the rear bulkhead, I found a bow in the 3/16" alum, and
am in the process of making both bulkheads flat.  The entire rear is
removable, even with parachutes packed, but not really easy or fast.  Final
assembly occurs when we are ready to go racing, then into the trailer.  It
does fit there.  I am hopeful that the car dolly will also work to load the
car on the trailer.  Long wheelbase cars are difficult to say the least, and
at 212", mine is not really all that long.  That's one reason for the air
jacks.  Since I do everything single handed, it beats jockeying with jacks
and stands.  They lift the car over 11 inches with 500 psi of N2.  Slide the
dolly in position, lower the car and roll it around.

All along when Mel was finishing the body, I kept thinking how big this car
is and how easy it will be to package everything.  Well BS.....boy is it
small. OK Jack, I know yours is smaller and even a v8 will fit.....It sure
is a challenge to package everything  the way I want.   I am getting there
though.  We are going to final welding and fabrication of the headers the
week of 17 December.
OH, so much to do, and so little time.
I have attached some photos for Glen, but they wont hit the list.  I will
try to post on landracing soon.  This is the longest I have had on the
computer in a long time....

Rick

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
PARACHUTE TUBES almost done.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Chute tubes exposed right.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of fuel
system mounting.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Tanks, oil water and fuel.jpg]